Saturday, March 5, 2011

Filipinos in Dubai: The Job Hunting Never Ends…..

I arrived in Dubai January 2, 2011 with the hope that I would be able to get a better paying job. Now that I only have few days to stay, I need to plan, prepare, and pray hard that things would go well for me after the expiration of my tourist visa.

The Filipino HR practitioners of Dubai sponsored a job fair for all Filipinos and non-Filipinos who are job hunting. I was coaxed by my friend to try my luck and file my application but I ended up as a volunteer assessor of the event since I have background and exposure in HR for seven years. I was overwhelmed to see the number of people standing in a very long queue while holding tightly their papers due to the strong wind blowing, hoping that they will be interviewed and get the job that they need very badly.

As I started to interview applicants, I tried my best to make them feel good by smiling at them and giving my warm greeting. As they shared their stories, I couldn't help but react hearing what they are going through. For those who are presently employed, they wanted to leave and get a new job because they have not received any salary increase for many years of hard work and commitment to the company. Others experience unfair distribution of benefits or no benefits at all despite their very small salary. For most of them, they have to bear with their malevolent bosses for fear of losing their jobs.

Many of the applicants I have assessed are just like me. They are on a tourist visa which is about to expire in few days. Seemingly, they feel like they are convicted of a crime they did not commit, being unemployed. I can’t help but feel very sorry for all of them. At the end of the fair, I just realized that I was not able to submit my job application because I felt I was called more to help than to apply for a job at that moment.

Faith, hope, hard work, and prayer are the most important things I can rely on at this point of my job hunting here in Dubai. In fact, my friends were saying that I am a "jobless person" who is earning money here. My first week, I was given a chance to conduct a seminar to the government officers of Nigeria, the very first training I have conducted outside of my country as a training consultant. Then, I worked for a few weeks for an educational company with pay. Now, I am an English tutor to Korean students plus I am an Assistant Supervisor of Forever Living Products. I just feel very blessed despite what I am going through. I know that God is always with me and I don’t fear anything at all. He is paving the way for me knowing that one day I will get the job that is best for me.

I left the place full of hope for myself but feeling quite sad for those who were there job hunting. I am very proud of all the Filipino HR practitioners for coming up with such a great activity which gave hope and opportunities for everyone. I felt the genuine and deep concern of all the members of the association and I have witnessed their generosity and compassion not only to the Filipinos but to other nationalities as well.

These are some of the many realities happening among Filipinos here in Dubai. I can’t thank enough this place for giving hope and for sharing good opportunities for people from all walks of life. I know that pessimism and cynicism would not help and neither would it help if I blame our government leaders after seeing a lot of Filipinos going through the grueling process of job hunting outside of our country. Prayers and hope are the words I would like to hold on to that I may see the Philippines one day being a haven of prosperity and abundance for my countrymen.

2 comments:

  1. Naiyak ako Ninong... but you know what, I can finally feel your inner peace... after all that you've gone through last year. I'm sure God is smiling at you right now. He must be so proud of His Ehd Pogi! :) We miss you! Praying for you! - Love, Rivera Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi inaanak, thank you for always loving me and supporting me since our time at DLSU. I feel really very blessed to have you in my life cause you have not just loved me but you loved the people close to my heart especially my inang. i love you more and your family. take care and please continue to pray for me and all our kababayans exploring a better job outside of our beloved country. miss you very much and i hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...