Sunday, June 20, 2021

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH


ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look up to  my Ate Marissa. When I was young, I would remember her always accompanying me to Pasig supermarket where we would buy stuffs for me to sell. As a child, I already had this  inclination to sell and save money. Maybe because I felt the need to do this being raised in  a poor family. My Ate Marissa was always there to support me. I always look forward to our market day because she would always treat me for delicious snacks which I always felt excited about.

When we reached high school, I witnessed how she tried to explore teenage things which I found  quite different but I never judged her at all. I was naive and shy then and I did not take the courage to ask and talk to her about it. I still see her as my Ate Marissa. She may have done things she wanted to experience at her young age but she never influenced or invited me to join her and do the same. That was a chapter in her life where she needed to change her environment, which by the grace of GOD helped her to be a better person. It was the time I saw her bloom like a beautiful flower where she discovered great things about herself which really changed her for the better. She gained many friends and at the same time she was able to establish meaningful friendships. Also, this was the time she experienced being liked and courted by the opposite sex. Honestly, it made me feel very happy and proud of her at that time seeing her change for the better. I even  remember all the memorable pictures she showed me from a birthday party where she looked very beautiful as a young lady.

From that time on, she has developed a level of maturity as a person,  which motivated her to help and support our beloved mother. We would wake up very early in the morning to buy food supplies at our favorite supermarket for our “karinderia” or mini-restaurant. We helped out in  marketing, food preparation, cooking, washing of dishes, and selling of food until we closed late in the evening. We had to sleep only for few hours as we had to do it again the next day.  It was a mundane activity that was quite exhausting and tiring but we did not have a choice because we needed  to do it to help our beloved mother. My Ate Marissa cooked like a master chef. Our customers would always buy and ask the ingredients we use as they really found the taste very delicious,  especially her goto. Ate Marissa never complained at all doing this laborious work to the point where she had to cook two to three times a day.

Finally, she was blessed enough to be given a chance to work as a professional since my Ate Marissa has earned a college degree. She had work experiences which I believe made her feel good and proud of herself as well. In fact, I remember the times where she would treat me during her payday. I deeply appreciated it a lot because for me it was an expression of love from my beloved, Ate Marissa. She did other menial jobs to earn money as a support to our parents.

Time flew very fast, as it seemed like in no time at all,  she met her husband (Kuya Efren) in Batangas where she joined her friends for a summer vacation. Kuya Efren noticed her because he found her friendly and quite talkative which he said was his opposite. From that day on, he never cut the communication and let go of the opportunity. Distance was  never been a problem at all as he would travel from Batangas to Taguig just to be with my Ate Marissa. Thus, they fell in love with each other and decided to tie the knot and raise their own family.

Just like other newlyweds, they had their own share of struggles and challenges but they were able to overcome it by God’s grace. Ate Marissa showed a great  deal of perseverance, patience, humility, love and faith as it was very tough and hard for her together with her husband to raise their family. Having to make ends meet, her family was able to rise above all these challenges and they are living a better life now. Her eldest daughter and son are both working professionally while her youngest son is an academic achiever.

In the year 2016, Ate Marissa was diagnosed with colon cancer. It shocked the whole family as we never expected this to happen at all. Our family does not have any history of this dreaded disease. This is the  biggest challenge that Ate Marissa had to face together with the whole family. Immediately, she had to undergo operation as we know how fast the cancer cells can spread.  She had her operation in Tarlac City under the care of our eldest sister, Ate Aida together with the support of her family. After her medical operation, her life has totally changed. This was the turning point of her life where she surrendered herself to the LORD and eventually found herself leading prayer groups such as block rosary and the Divine Mercy. Also, she would not hesitate at all to share her experience to people because GOD performed miracle on  her by letting her survive her major operations and other series of medical consultations and operations which she had all undergone with strong faith and joy from the LORD. Physically, she suffered much pain and fatigue but her faith in GOD made her believe that everything shall pass and she will be okay. She was able to display a very positive attitude with joy and happiness as if she was  not sick at all.

Her faith in and love of GOD and her devotion to our blessed Mother Mary moved her  to do noble things which she did not tell anyone at all including her family. She would go to poor places to share her blessings. Also, she would remember people without any occasion and would give whatever she could to help them survive even for a day. During Christmas seasons, she would gather children in front of her house and she would give them presence. She would always say, “GOD ALWAYS PROVIDES!” which became her mantra in life especially in helping other people. Through her great faith in and love for GOD she never got tired of reaching out to as many people and in joining them in their propagation  and devotion to the Divine Mercy and our  Lady of Fatima, which became her ministry.

Eventually, she influenced many people to love and serve the LORD through her ministry. In fact, a lady whom she invited to join the Divine Mercy confessed that she was a gambling addict. Through Ate Marissa’s persistence and invitation for her to join the Divine Mercy, she stopped gambling and had committed herself to the LORD by regularly joining the prayer group for  the Divine Mercy. She inspired, encouraged and motivated a lot of people to pray the rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet. I am a witness to how my beloved sister genuinely loved and served the LORD with all her mind, heart, strength and spirit. I am sure that she made our LORD very happy and proud  of what she done in her life.

On April 5, 2021, my Ate Marissa joined our beloved Creator as she passed away with a smiling face, as if she was happy knowing that she would finally have a chance to meet GOD and MAMA MARY in heaven. She even said, “There is Joy in Suffering” that is why she mentioned to her children that may GOD give  her more pain as she wanted to offer it  to HIM.

Ate Marissa, I know that you have lived a good life. You may have done things which people may dislike but I have realized that you have done everything because of your great love for your family. For that, your husband and three children have loved you very much.  I am very happy and more than proud of what you have accomplished here on Earth. You never complained and questioned GOD with all the pain and sufferings you went through. You showed great faith and love in GOD by loving, serving and praying for others.

I will surely miss you every single day Ate Marissa but I know in GOD’s time we will see each other again. I feel happy knowing that I have an angel sister now who will guide, protect and pray for me. Thank you for all the love and for every single moment we spent and shared together because I learned from it. Until we meet again, Ate Marissa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...