Saturday, January 29, 2011

See You In Heaven!


The year 2010 was the most painful and depressing year of my life. March 24, 2010 was the day when I lost my father. We call him Amang in my country the Philippines. I returned to Manila in June 2009 only to realize that I would be the caregiver of my Amang. He suffered from emphyzema, a lung disease due to excessive smoking. I was there to feed him, bathe him, wake up early in the morning to attend to him, watch him while he was sleeping to scare away the mosquitoes and make sure that his medicines were given on time. I don't have any regret nor feel bad about it because it was the sweetest and loving moment I had with my father. I even remember one time when we rushed him to the hospital, he was running after his breath and by the grace of God he survived that struggle. I whispered to him and said, I LOVE YOU AMANG AND I AM THANKFUL TO GOD THAT YOU ARE STILL HERE WITH ME.

When I was younger, I had a lot of issues with my Amang. I grew up seeing him smoking and drinking with his beermates practically everyday. There was even a time when he embarrassed me in front of them and I was crying in shame and pity. I also witnessed how he humiliated my sister and younger brother too. It was very painful because I never expected that the person who should shower me with all the love and affection in this world was the person who gave me all the pain and suffering I don't deserve. But despite of it all, I LOVE AND MISS MY AMANG VERY MUCH. I know that he is my father that God has given me.

On July 27, 2010, my mother whom we call Inang passed away too. It was very unexpected because my mother was never treated for any disease at all except for her excruciating rheumatism. I have plenty of good and loving memories of my Inang. When I was a high school student, she said that I had to stop studying because they could not afford to send me to school anymore. I begged and cried to her and said that I don't want to stop schooling. Because of her unfathomable love and concern for me, she did everything so that I would be able to continue my studies. My mother was a balut (egg) vendor and every night I would join her selling balut on the street until midnight just to have money for my schooling the next day. She never got tired of working hard just to provide for the needs of the family. She would go to the point of borrowing money or items from people just to provide for her children. I remember her sharing that she wanted to study when she was young but her old folks didnt want to send her to school. She had a lot of sad stories to share and everytime I hear it, I feel very, very sad for my Inang. She is my number 1 fan. Everytime I would sing at home with my Magicsing, she would affirm me with all good words and praises and would clap everytime I finish a song. Eventhough it's hard for her to stand, she would carry her body just to please me to be my dancing partner. I would end up hugging and kissing her until she would ask me to assist her to sit down.

When I saw her dying, it was the most painful feeling of my life because I could not bear the sight of seeing her suffer and the reality that I was losing her. She had always been and still is my inspiration in everything that I do. But now that she is gone, I hope I am still making her proud.

Now that my Inang and Amang are both gone, I feel at times empty and sad because I grew up seeing and feeling their love and presence. Inang, Amang, I know that you are always there to guide us and most especially pray for us. I will try my best to be worthy of the blessing of seeing you again one day and still be my parents in heaven. I LOVE YOU BOTH AND I THANK GOD FOR HAVING YOU AS MY PARENTS.

See you in heaven!

12 comments:

  1. Reading this post quite broke my heart. Thanks for being very transparent in what you write. I enjoy reading your articles as they serve as a door for me to enter your world. It is quite a phenomenological experience for me reading your posts. Keep on posting my dear friend as through this, you will be able to touch a lot of people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but get emotional whenever I hear stories about passing away of immediate families. My sister and my mom are already 6 feet underground ( and at unreachable heavenly heights). Asthma got them both. I can definitely relate to those Magicsing moments.
    I'm amazed to read you were with your mom as "balot" merchants.
    Also, likewise, I have the same final words to them.. "See you in heaven". That's when our journey is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi howlin,

    i pray for your mother and sister. it still hurts me everyday but I know and I have to prepare for the time I will meet my amang and inang in heaven. right?

    God bless you and thank you for reading our blog.

    Mabuhay ka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same story with my mother who died in February, 2007 and 3 months later, my most beloved brother died too,....we may have different family history but the pain of losing the people you really love is exactly the same,...my prayers are always with you and with each family members who feel the same as we do,...

    ReplyDelete
  5. we can only wish that they are still alive but reality is that they are now gone. i pray for the repose of the souls of your mother and brother. take care always cause i know you are one person who can give a lot of love to people who are alive. God bless and take care always:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @coficup- i lost my brother in 1980 at his tender age of 29 and in the prime of his life and career. it was 'bangungot' and such an instant death it was. that was the first 'death' in the family. for months, i would dream about him (dead or living) and i would wake up crying upon realizing that he was really gone. it took me sometime to fully accept his death. my father died in 1987, and it was also very painful. i really miss him. in 2003, i lost a very dear nephew who was aged 2. so cute an angel he was and i cried for days. at this time, i can only pray for their soul as my way of helping them and am looking forward to the day to be reunited with them. tnx for your insight. it opened up something in me

    ReplyDelete
  7. As it will always be, loosing your parents or family member is so deeply painful just like you wish to wake up in a very bad dream ever! Something that nobody wants to happen yet surely, a reality that everyone has to cope up and endure. I can't imagine as this story is like a ship tragic sinking in the middle of the sea at night and the survivors would struggle and seek any floating object to grab and catch a breath.

    Holy weak, I pray that you would hold tightly in that object in the middle of the sea until a rescuer comes and give you a new life and to continue sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you oliver. i now you are qualified to be a "rescuer." thank you for reading this blog and sharing your thoughts about it. God bless you always:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just to share with you a related story of someone being watched die,....after a month of my mother in the ICU, the doctor honestly told us that Nanay was just maybe waiting for someone to see her before she goes. so, we agreed to remove all her life support and the doctor gave us at least a day after taking away all the machines that made her breathe. and so, we were ready any moment from then on that her time would soon be witnessed by the family at home.but we wondered coz in God's grace, she lasted for another week. and on her last morning,i could feel it that her was time was coming soon,...she was not talking anymore, had lost her memory of everything, just lying there,...i was counting the intervals of her breathing,..slowly going slower and slower and slower,...it was 6am, everyone was sleeping still and it was only me and angel in front of her death bed. i just turned my back in a second and when i look back at her, she was not breathing anymore,...she's gone and nobody noticed,...she quietly went away,...and i bid her goodbye,....

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi coficup. am just reminded again of my moment with inang and amang. it is still very painful and it makes me cry everytime i remember them. am sure they are now all in heaven. let's try our best that one day we all see them in heaven. God bless you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love them both sooo much... super miss them..
    i'm happy because i know that they are now in a good condition, in a place without any pain or suffering.. let's continue praying for them.. mwuah.. mwuah!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi anne pauline. i miss them both every single day. i always think about them. i talk and pray to them too. i really hope and pray to see them in heaven someday:) love you and miss you too.

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...