Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lies make the world go round.

Lies make the world go round. Lying is NOT BAD! But before you discontinue reading this blog and hit the X button on the top left corner of the screen. Give yourself 2 more minutes and perhaps after that you might just be proud to call yourself a BIG LIAR.

Lies make the world go round and in fact it can be good for you and me! Lie is a type of deception in the form of untruthful statement with the intention to deceive, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, or to avoid punishment. (Wikipedia)

A lie is a lie is a lie. Right? Yes and No. This pass̩ is not new to you, good lies and bad lies. White lies and Black lies. I will not talk about the lies that hurt and destroy relationships and lives Рwhich we call black lies. But statements which spice up our daily bread and butter called white lies. They spice our lives and make the world go round!

A white lie is not supposed to hurt someone, it is supposed to protect him or her. In even a more personal scale, lying is a way of protecting ourselves. A person who claims that he speaks the truth all the time without fail – is a BIG LIAR! We lie to our boss, our friends, spouses, and children and even to ourselves. And most of the time we are not aware of it! Let me explain and cite examples:

Are any of these statements familiar to you?
• I will call you back. (even if you don’t have the intension of calling)
• I’m really glad to see you. (when you are really not, or it doesn’t matter)
• Which email? Which sms?
• Let’s get together some time. (Another way of saying, Goodbye with style)
• The traffic is extremely terrible today. (when you are late for an appointment)
• I’m great. (but your facial expression Darth Vader)
• How are you today? (even if you really don’t want to know)
• I’m in a meeting right now (when you want to avoid somebody)
• Nothing (when in fact, it is everything!)

Sounds familiar?

These are just words… what makes us untruthful person and separates us from being deceitful are our actions!

I want to be truthful to you in telling you that I AM A LIAR. And more often than not, I use these words everyday, not to hurt people, not to protect others and myself. It makes us feel good when somebody tells us the following (even we know they don’t mean it)

• You are the best in the business
• The food is great
• Your new hairstyle fits you
• You don’t look like your age
• Have you lost weight?
• You are a lucky man / woman
• Your children are really, really smart and cute.


When we hear these little lies, we also lie to ourselves by believing them. We feel nice and if we choose to believe them our spirits are lifted. Though we know that we really haven’t lost weight or our kids are not that smart but we like to listen and believe them. Any harm done? No, in fact it does more good than harm. And in turn, we tend to be nice and say the same little lies to the other person. It keeps marriages and relationships intact.

What if we are not capable of lying?
• When a husband says, I love you even if you are no longer beautiful.
• I think your nose it too big for your face.
• I don’t want to talk to you because I’m busy with something else.
• It’s none of your business (when somebody asks, How are you?)
• I think you gained twice as much since you started going to the gym!

It would destroy relationships, marriages and friendships. And in a much larger scale hurt the society. Imagine if politicians, agencies and governments will bluntly slap the truths in our faces…. It would be a disaster!

These little words, lies, or little chilly spices that we exchange everyday, helps us cope with the challenges and difficulties of everyday life. It wouldn’t be so bad to hear a little bit of lie, would it?

In the morning when I wake up, the very first thing I do is LIE to myself. And what the heck, it does perk me up! I affirm to myself each day that I am beautiful, amazing, happy and successful. And I just go about lying to everyone.

I AM A PROUD LIAR – I help make the world go round.

Are you a Liar?

1 comment:

  1. Well, whether white or black, it is still a lie. In one sense, lying serves a good purpose as it is a defense mechanism that we can use to protect ourselves, our ego, our sense of survival, etc. It is a coping mechanism in and by itself. Provided they are white lies (translated as non-destructive to self and others), it is acceptable. But if it is a black lie (destructive to self and others), then it is unacceptable. More so, if it is chronic and if it becomes pathological, then, it is dangerous, as such forms of lying are symptoms of a psychological disorder.

    In a social scale, it serves a good purpose as well, especially taking into consideration the examples of situations you cited above. It is part of an art of communication labelled as civility, diplomacy, and tact.

    At any rate though, we should always be on guard that the habit does not extend itself to a pathology as there is a danger that it can. Hence, we need to consciously regulate and monitor ourselves on a regular basis.

    I remember one simple and practical analogy offered to differential a neurotic from a pscyhotic:

    A neurotic builds castles in the air, a psychotic lives there.

    Liar! Liar!

    Jim Carrey (not the actor)

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...