Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ecclesiastes 3:1

Snowflakes Fall at the Right Places All the Time


There is a right time for everything and everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance, and I believe that where I am right now is exactly where I have to be. The more  I examine my life in retrospect, the more I am convinced of its  truth, as crucial events in my life are a testimony to this. I will share some of these events in two aspects: career and personal development.

My career path is peppered with twists and turns that I did not intentionally seek. It started with a work in a bank, to a teaching career, then to a career in counseling psychology. While taking my masters, I met a classmate who became instrumental in my eventual employment as University Counselor of a university in Manila.

In this University, a professor and friend of mine  broached the idea of Toastmasters to me. I did not pursue this interest because of problems in transportation.  Looking back, I realized that my decision not to join was meant to be as consequential events vindicated it.

After 12 years of working as University Counselor, a major event transpired that made me decide to leave. The year was 2003. Two months after, as luck would have it, I obtained a US tourist visa to attend a convention for Sports Psychologists. But I had another purpose in mind for going there:  to explore career opportunities. But two weeks after my stay there, my brother in the UAE kept on prodding me to come to Dubai. I eventually relented and on Dec 6, 2003, I finally set foot in Dubai.  So here I am working as Sr. Consulting Psychologist in a management consultancy firm. Looking back, I realized that my decision to leave the University, to go to the US, and to come to Dubai was  for a good reason, as the consequential events that have taken place so far have vindicated it. 

In the third quarter   of 2006, I met a Filipina who breathes Toastmastering day and day out through a common friend. She was the one who re-introduced Toastmasters to me.  There could not have been any perfect time to join as the Oasis Toastmasters’ Club has just been formed.  Since I joined, I had been hesitant to do my Icebreaker until a few days ago when this lady  told me to stop procrastinating. I hated the label, so I finally decided to do my first speech. That moment came into pass, and I believe that where I was at that moment, delivering my Icebreaker as a contestant  in the International Speech Category at the Club Level,  is exactly where I had to be.

Sometimes people come into our life and we know right away that they are meant to be there…to serve some sort of purpose, teach us  a lesson or help figure out who we  are or who we  want to become.
And sometimes things happen to us at the time that may not be right  or sensible at face value,  but in retrospect,  we  realize that without them taking place in our lives, we  would not  uncover  more our potential, our  power, and our heart.
In our life, sometimes it makes sense to just take things as they come and allow life to take its own course.  As they say, some things are meant to be. If they are bound to happen, they will happen, and they will happen at the right time and for the right reason, because “Snowflakes fall at the right places all the time.”


4 comments:

  1. Appreciate,with all your heart the best of life, do everything within your power to pass the tests of life and learn how to live with the rest of life by finding miracles in your daily existence (as said by some famous person)............

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnx my dear. such words of wisdom that can only come from someone who has been 'living life fully' as you do. tnx for sharing your precious books. i yet have to finish the very nice one that i started reading a few months back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't agree with you more. I know this lady too! She does not only breathes Toastmasters but she walks the talk of Toastmastering! This lady gave you just a tinsy bit of push. Maybe she felt you needed it even if you didn't want it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup and she can be really pushy. but she is a nice and very helpful person and we all know her to be such

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...