Tuesday, June 21, 2011

FB World, My World

I started to have my very first social networking account thru the persuasion and magnanimity of my best friend Elvin. In fact, I told him that I don’t need one because I already have many friends plus I am not a tekky person as well. As I explore the ins and outs of it, I see myself developing great interest and alacrity into it especially when I was able to communicate with my family, friends, and classmates which I have not seen for ages. After the Friendster mania, the genius Mark Zuckerberg introduced the very famous and widely used Facebook.

Admittedly, I am one of those millions of users who got hooked into it. Just the same, I was able to get in touch with good friends since childhood and classmates from elementary, high school, and college. It really gives me a very good feeling every time I use it. Thank you very much to Mr. Zuckerberg for creating Facebook.

I religiously check my account and would feel very excited receiving invitations from old friends and from unknown people that I just met online. Every time I have new pictures, I would immediately upload it for my family and friends to see. I get to chat with them for long hours only to realize that I have failed to do other things which are important. Thank goodness I never accepted invitations from friends to play games which I think a lot of my friends on FB are into it.

As days passed by, I noticed that people apparently post everything in their account. Some would share beautiful and inspiring quotations, passages, stories, and pictures from different sources. Others would post feel good photos and memorabilia that I have never seen before. Also, I am reminded everyday of my friends’ birthday. Thus, I would send my short and sweet greetings to each and every one of them.

Sadly, I have observed that others are so insensitive and shameless posting pictures, websites, and words that are obscene and vulgar in nature. Needless to say, people find joy and happiness from sharing such kind of materials. Also, there are other people who are likely to enjoy announcing to everyone their location or whereabouts. Perhaps, privacy is not an issue for most of them. The biggest population likely to find gratification from uploading photos of food, personal trips, posh restaurants, branded items, partners in life, new cars, acquired properties, personal photo of their sexy and nude poses which they appear to be very proud to share to the rest of the world. Surprisingly, it has also become a venue for emotional catharsis for many who are sad, depressed, homesick, problematic or heartbroken which elicit different responses from friends.

The most pressing issue being faced by parents, school administrators, employers, and other concerned groups nowadays is how to teach and promote the proper use and control of it. Many of them started to block and monitor the use of it because of the growing danger it gives to many people especially to the young. In fact, news all over the world showed that many lives were taken away because of the relentless use of this social networking site.

It is a formidable reality that people from all walks of life regardless of race, culture, gender, creed, and even socio-economic status in life are hooked if not addicted to this great phenomenon called FB world. It surely has its pros and cons but it is always up to the person to exercise prudence, respect, control, and sensitivity towards the use of all social networking sites available. Ultimately, we should always be responsible and accountable to everything that we post and do with our personal account.

Is FB your world too?

6 comments:

  1. Facebook is totally an interest in my life. Why? It's because of me being a virtual card collector and so that I can be up to date with the world of football. Collecting virtual cards from teams like AC Milan, AS Roma and Real Madrid, and also getting updates of football from around the globe, it really helps me to expand into the world of football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages and keep in touch with friends, family and other people. Facebook is my world too, because i think its one of the way to get closer people whom i don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thnk that facebook is useful to me. It help me get updates about something, maybe updates, news and new information about it. It also helps me waste my time when im not doing anything in particular. I get to chat to some of my friends who arent at school anymore which makes it really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fb may be an interest of my life but not 'my life'. I see quite a lot of people really using fb and pretty attached to it but I just dont do that kinda stuff. Ive been using fb for quite a while now but really has never been so attached to it. I really dont think its a VERY necessary essence at this age I currently am on. I may actually need it at one point contacting people I'm away from.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a teenager, I like to go online a lot. one of the things I open is Facebook. The main reason why I go on Facebook is because I have a friend out of the country and I'd really like to chat with her. But other times I use Facebook to read posts and play games. So basically, I can safely say that I am hooked into it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think that facebook is more of my old habit..i just use it to connect to old friends and wish them happy bday.. i use skype and twitter only nowadays. so im not addicted to facebook and im more or less saying fb is not my world.

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...