Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Everything in this World is Temporary

“The only thing that is permanent in this world is temporary.”
- Socrates


Do you agree that everything in this world is temporary?
If you agree that it is temporary, look around you
How come there are many people who are preoccupied or addicted with things that will not last?
Like food, clothes, big house, land acquisition, prestige, power, sex, etc.
I may be able to explain all these from a psychological perspective
But I still believe that these are just means for us to strive for what is eternal
I don’t want to sound righteous or preachy but I strongly believe that many of us still enjoy the things of this world

When I was young, I always wish that I could have what I want
When I was a student, I always wish that I could get high grades
When I was working, I always wish that I could get high salary
When I have enough money, I always wish that I can have more
But as I grow older and wiser, I realized that everything in this world is temporary

Today when I woke up, I just uttered the words, “Thank you God for everything.”
I have thought that my life is temporary and that I have to live my best
But how can I do it if I am strongly preoccupied and influenced by my egocentricity
I always think of my past and future and tend to forget my present
How can I live a life not rooted on its temporal existence?

I do not have all the answers to my concerns, questions, and preoccupations
All I know is that life is short and that I have to live as if it’s my last
At the end of the day, I can humbly say that I have live a good life
A life that is rooted on what is good and eternal
I have shared to a friend that when the day comes that I have to finally close my eyes
When I open it again, the first thing I would like to see is God and my parents

As I continue to live in this world full of enigma and intricacy
I will always carry with me all the good lessons I have learned
So when the day comes that this temporary life comes to an end
I can humbly say to myself and to my God that I have tried to live a good life
Despite of my imperfections and human frailties

Now that I am living my present
I will enjoy every single day of it
As I will always be reminded of my guiding principle in life
“I shall pass through this world but ones
If therefore there be any kindness I can show
Or any goodness I can do
Let me do it now, let me not defer it nor neglect it
For I shall never pass this way again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...