Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lessons from the Buffet Table

“When people tell you something, a sort of a feedback, do you accept, ignore or get affected by it in any way, positively or negatively? I have learned how, it’s just like getting ready to have a buffet meal.”
This was a part of my discussion with my weekend class. I realized my trainees couldn’t digest the metaphor on feedback vs. buffet. Therefore I added,
“How do we sift through peoples many opinions solicited and non-solicited? Most of the time, people’s opinions differ from each other and there is no way to follow each and every advice that we get. This often leaves us confused.”
At least with this explanation, my trainees found a bit ray of hope. Yes, our teacher is sober! Wanting to explicitly state my point rather being implied, I carried on,
“Would you agree with me that we cannot please everyone?”
With their nods, I figured they agreed with my question.
“So why try anyway? When people throw their opinions and advice at me, I take into heart that they have the best intention for me to be better. Like going into a buffet meal, I cannot eat everything served on the buffet table. I just pick out the things that I would want to eat and would satisfy my hunger.”
At this moment, they seemed interested and have figured out the message.
“Let us just try to be picky with advice and choose very well on what to accept just like what we want to pick and eat at the buffet table. After all, it’s your appetite that you want to satisfy and your tummy that you would want to fill.”
I love to conduct trainings. It gives me a chance to teach myself while teaching others. While I was cooking up the training, I was able to give myself a sweet taste of life’s lessons. It’s amazing how I give myself some surprises every single day. Never would have I imagined to get a lesson from the buffet table. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...