Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thoughts that Sprang from the RNHS Batch 1979 32nd Reunion


Thoughts That Sprang from the RNHS Batch 1979 32nd Reunion
Thirty six years back, we were  pubescent boys and girls that stepped inside the grandiose and physically imposing Campus of what eventually  became our Alma Mater four years down the line.  From the confines of the relatively limited physical size  of our respective grade school locales,  I found it overwhelming to enter and walk inside a school Campus that is comparably gigantic in size and  populated by  students that cut across 4-year levels and coming from all the local units  that comprise the Municipality of Romblon, and even beyond.  The four walls of the Campus was witness to each one’s journey as we all took on the basic life’s tasks of building a sense of self and personal identity. Along the way, we formed relationships in our effort to define what we were, more in the context of collectivism than individuality.  I can vividly recall and with fondness as well quite a few gangs that came into being as a result of such an effort, i.e., MYREVE (Myra, Renati, Eve), BIMEBETH (Bibot, Melite, Beth),  the Bonggadera Girls (Mani, Ipin, Pinky, Nating, Eve, Cristy),  FLOREVE (which stands for Floro & Eve),   the inseparable  duo of Laling Malavega  & Josie  Rada, our own gang in 4th year, comprised of Ellen, D. Uy, Melot, Elma, Tots, Turoy, and myself), the 3 Aspirants- that is how I call it now (Dadong, Turoy, and myself), among others.   It made me chuckle as I recalled  all these gangs that were formed that helped us in one way or another  define our sense of self as puberty turning into adolescents.  The Campus saw the physical transformation of young boys and  girls in us into young gentlemen and ladies, where, as would be expected, the latter outpaced and outsized the former especially in the earlier phase.
Thirty two years back,  we  were senior students who were faced with the dilemma between  being quite hesitant to  leave an environment that nurtured and comforted us for four years  and being excited about treading the new phase of life after high school. In March 1979, we felt sad bidding our Alma Mater farewell while at the same time  fulfilled about having conquered  the second tier of educational attainment despite its incidental challenges and barriers.  Some of us were looking forward with much eagerness to college life, others dreamt and could only wish that they could go to college, and there were those who had to or decided to, whether circumstantial or planned, enter into a marital state of life.
What would come after this would seemingly be a series of unending reunions whether in a large or small scale, official or unofficial. The idea of reunions appeals differently to graduates depending on their personal circumstances. In a general sense, those who judge themselves to be successful after schooling would look forward to being reunited with their batchmates while those who deem themselves otherwise may shun the occasion. On top of these, there are other reasons that are as peculiar as the individual is.  During such an occasion,  each one of us gets to be confronted with  common questions from our batchmates, such as: What did you finish? What is your work and where do you work? Are you married yet? Who and from where is your wife/husband? How many children do you have? This was the usual way of apprising each other during such an occasion.
Fast forward to 1989, 10 years after graduation, which by tradition in our school would be the first big ‘get together’ of the batch, Batch 79 held its first big reunion inside the Campus of our Alma Mater. I was not able to attend because it was summer break from school and it was the only time for me to do professional development related pursuits.  Then, 20 years from high school graduation, in May 1999, another grand reunion ensued.   That was the first instance I was able to participate. I remember that we kicked  off with our activities through a parade around the town followed by a Mass officiated by then Fr. Turoy, who after the Recessional Hymn led the batch in singing one of the batch’ fave songs “You Light Up My Life”. It was a joy seeing some batchmates for the first time after 20 years.
On a personal note,  let me intimate that basically I would prefer to shy away from attending reunions for a variety of personal reasons. I just do not feel comfortable being asked questions like “Are you married yet?”   To me, such questions constitute a form of social pressure that  I so despise. I find it disappointing that my batchmates or people in general  for no fault of their own may be can think of marriage as  the  only option that one has to take as he/she approaches a particular stage in life.   I find it difficult to explain that I am a non-conformist in this regard and in the microcosms that I have been part of for the last 20 years of my life, to be asked such questions is tantamount to having one’s human right being stepped into.  I hate the idea of having to defend my choices in life.  Hence, admittedly, I became quite distant for some time, preferring to manage my relationships only with a few, i.e., Wella, D. Uy, Pinky, Jo, Turoy, Pareng David, Mely, Osie, Baby, Joey, Selwyn, Nene, Jojo,  Van, Deo, Bendoy, Paeng (RIP), and Koka (RIP),  and perhaps a few names more.
It was just about quite lately when I decided to try to put my foot into the water again. For some time, I ignored Paul’s invite to me to join the Yahoo Group he set up for the Batch.  I am sure you noticed it Paul. However, the persistent prodding of Maggie in inviting me to be part of her FB contacts cornered me and made me raise both hands up. When she set up the FB Group for the Batch, I remember that in one of my first postings, Paul responded in a way that somehow knocked me down. In essence, he said he was glad to see me  part of the loop and his remark to the effect that ‘life is short, hence, we should set aside any ill feelings toward each other, and aspire to be happy’,   made me  re-examine my perspective on this whole matter about high school reunions. 
Thirty two years later, I feel very happy seeing the psychosocial transformation of the Batch both collectively and individually.  I am glad to note that the Group has matured tremendously as can be observed from what we decide upon and do to help batchmates in dire need of help, to mention one.  Our individual maturity  can be gleaned from how we  have been relating with each other, which has moved from superficiality to that of genuine care and concern, even if it is through cyberspace or face to face.  I am glad to note that seemingly we are all  taking the positive path as midlifers by creating or nurturing things that will outlast us, such as having children and rearing them  for most of us or creating a positive change that benefits others.  Each one of us took on different roles as we responded to God’s calling. Most responded to parenthood as a vocation while a few of us chose a celibate life. But despite our individuality,  besides being all children of God, one thing that commonly identifies us is we are all part of Batch 79 of RNHS (used to be RHS).  We have woven a  big common identity that binds us, hence, no more  labels such as Section Pearl, Diamonders, or Jade people, etc. While they remain positively alive in our memory, they now are parts of the whole that essentially is bigger than their summation. Most importantly,  I am happy to observe that each one has learned to regard the other  with RESPECT  and ACCEPTANCE and I urge everyone to continue doing so as any group devoid of  these two essentials  is bound to break apart.
Given my current circumstances, I was not able to take part in the 32nd Year reunion of our batch that took place from May 21-22, 2011 in Romblon, Philippines, and I know I missed a lot, as in a lot. Hence, I look forward to the opportunity to be part of the next undertaking to meet old friends, relive the good old days with them, and touch base with ‘long lost’ friends and acquaintances. 
Let us carry on my dear batchmates and if it is for the good of our Batch, you can count on me for support in my own little way.
Carpe Diem RNHS Batch 79!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Expat' World,
    Are you married yet? Why? :)
    Seriouly its even worse when you answered them no... and they just keep on and on and on and on and on and on....

    But of course, we still love to go and attend our school reunion. It's still a blessing to once again reunited with people who has been part of our growth.

    love,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, until now, such questions would always be asked. am not married yet and i don't intend to

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...