Friday, August 18, 2017

Counseling: A Ministry Not A Job


My career as a Counselor started way back 1997 when my professor in the graduate school invited me to apply as a University Counselor in one of the biggest universities in Manila. At that time, I just wanted to study because I felt bored in the mundane world of being an office employee. I never thought that I would end up working as a Counselor for twenty years now.

Looking back, I never realized that I would do this job of listening to people’s problems from all walks of life. When I was a high school student, I remember having the patience and perseverance to listen to different stories of people whether sad, happy, funny, and even the most inane story you could ever imagine. As I grow older, I was still caught in situations wherein I have to listen to people. I remember working out in the gym and the instructor ended up telling me his personal stories. With friends, they would usually confide to me their experiences whether good or bad. With all these things that happened in my life, I have come to a realization that GOD has actually prepared me to do a job which I actually see as a ministry.

One of the many inspiring experiences I would never forget was when I volunteered as a Counseling Psychologist in a drug rehabilitation located in the far-flung area of Bulacan in the Philippines. I would remember all the moments I had counseled every single drug dependent in that rehab center. These people who are labeled as addict, evil, rapist, murderer and all other pejorative and degrading words you could think of are now being seen by the society as useless human beings. These kind of people especially now in my country is seen as a menace to society and that all of them deserved to be killed. How I wish that you would have a chance to know and genuinely listen to their stories for you to understand why they do things that they are not supposed to do. In 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”

One day my student was crying in deep pain sharing that he was expelled from school due to academic failures. He tried his very best to study well but sadly he was not able to meet the academic standards of his course. Also, I recall the time when my student confessed that her father attempted to sexually molest her. It gave me an indescribable feeling because it was first time in my life to listen to such a story and counsel a young girl who was going through a terrible and despicable experience of her life.

At the end of each day, I would always go to GOD’s chapel to pray and ask for HIS help as I know that I could not do it alone by myself as HE is my only ONE and TRUE Counselor who could help all these broken hearted and helpless people. In Isaiah 9:6 it says, “For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”

Ultimately, I know that I am accountable to my Great Counselor above, whom I strongly believe has given me this ministry and the gift to touch people’s lives and to help them become a person that God wanted them to be through my counseling. It is my hope and prayer that by our personal experiences of GOD’s love and compassion, we may also be moved to counsel people around us who would be in need of help.

May GOD our COUNSELOR and KING be always our source of love, inspiration and wisdom in our humble desire to serve our fellowmen through our chosen ministry. Whatever you do, wherever you may be, there will always be people around you, who might be in need of your help.


May GOD bless your kind and loving heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...