Monday, April 11, 2011

“It Is Better To Receive Than To Give”

We usually hear the saying, “It is better to give than to receive.” In my experience, it makes me feel good as a person and as a Christian if I am able to share anything that I have especially to my family and to those who are in need.

I remember an incident when I was in Indonesia walking on a bridge together with my brother Terry. We saw a mendicant in his 60s who looks pale and weak. I was taken aghast to see an old man still living a very poor life thinking that in his condition, he can pass away anytime. I instantaneously took money from my pocket and gave it to the old man. My brother and I saw a smile on his face while he was looking at the money and tried to convey his profound gratitude by looking at us with a very happy and genuine smile. I will never ever forget that moment.

I know that many of us are doing the same thing just like what my brother and I did. We all have been munificent and kind enough to others especially to those who are dear to us. For many people, it has been a way of life to give, and give, and give, and give until to the point that we tend to forget ourselves. This is especially true to many Filipinos who work abroad. Most of us, send our hard earned money to our families in the Philippines despite of all the hardships, depression, pains, agony, and even sometimes maltreatment we experience in our job just to be able to provide and give for our beloved families and friends.

With all humility, I have seen myself more of a giver because I always believe that it is better to give than to receive. I can say that I was strongly influenced by my Inang (mother) who has been so unselfish giving everything that she has up to the point of forgetting her own needs and welfare.

As I have shared in my previous blogs, last year was the toughest year of my life not realizing that I will lose both my parents on the same year and being houseless but not homeless because of my spiteful relatives. Thus, I am now experiencing my "rock bottom" where I can say that I am totally depending on the unconditional support, care, and love of people, my friends.

It feels good to give but this time I can say that it feels good to receive too. Or, I should say, it is better to receive than to give. Receiving help from people has taught me one of the greatest values this world can offer us, humility. I never doubted myself that I can provide all the things that I need and want. As I go through the most grueling moment of my life, I have learned that it is not embarrassing at all to ask and receive help if you need it. In the process you are teaching yourself the value of humility and at the same time you are giving others the opportunity to realize the value of authentic generosity.

Initially, asking and receiving help from others was not giving me a good feeling at all. In the end, I have fully understand and appreciate the fact that life wanted me to experience the value of giving and receiving so that I may be able to fully understand my own being and thus appreciate more every single moment that happens to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...