Friday, April 29, 2011

Pope John Paul II: My Faith Experience



In the year 1995, Pope John Paul II visited the Philippines for the World Youth Day celebration. I remember watching his arrival on television together with my friend. All of a sudden, tears just poured out from my eyes and I can't explain why? To my surprise, my friend also felt the same thing and we both shed tears watching the pontiff on television. Looking back, I can only say that I felt something indescribable that made me feel God's love and forgiveness at that "holy moment." For me, he was truly God's chosen one for all people regardless of race, creed, language, and status in life.

On the same year, I was very active in the church ministry. I was appointed by our parish priest to head the Parish Youth Council of our church in Taguig responsible for the spiritual preparation of all the youth in connection with the visit of His Holiness. I even absent myself from work for a week just to join millions of people in Manila to witness that very rare opportunity to see the Holy Father. I felt very blessed to see him from afar inside the pope mobile. It was very short but more than enough for me to feel good, happy, and blessed.

I also remember my most unforgettable experience with my brothers in the Legion of Mary. We were holding hands very tightly like boy scouts because we wanted to get near the stage of the Quirino grandstand to get a glimpse of the Holy Father. However, it was like we swam and got drowned in an ocean surrounded by people thus, we ended up separated from each other. We agreed that whatever may happen we will go back to the area where we slept in case we lose sight of one another. Though it was a tumultuous moment amidst massive numbers of people, nonetheless, it was indeed one amazing and grace-filled experience I will truly treasure and cherish forever. Most especially, I had a rare chance together with my brother legionaries to have a faith sharing with some participants from other parts of the world which made my experience more spiritually inspiring and nurturing.

During my class with Dr. Margie Holmes on "Spirituality and Sexuality," I remember exchanging thoughts and opinions about church and its leaders. Modesty aside, I was the only one among my classmates who expressed and articulated my humble love and respect to His Holiness when the husband of my professor uttered words regarding the pope that offended me. I felt that part of my faith that I honor, respect, and love so much was disrespected. Thanks to my professor because she was able to facilitate the session very well.

I have realized that my faith as a Catholic has embraced everything in it. It may have some imperfections but I believe that it is something that I also have to accept, consult a priest if necessary, and pray for most especially. Pope John Paul II was a great influence and instrument for my faith to grow in love and service to God and His people.

I am looking forward to his beatification on May 1, 2011 but I am doubly excited to witness the canonization of Pope John Paul II as a saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...