Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I could have saved life that day

Out of the many safety meetings I’ve attended, our session last Monday February 21, 2011 to me had the most inspiring topic we’ve ever had. It touched my heart so deeply that it made me want to share to all my friends and relatives the story.

When the speaker was narrating the story I thought he was just informing us about another safety rule to bear in mind but as the story progressed,  I realized it was not about safety anymore but it was about attitude that makes you and others safe and alive.

The situation happened at the workplace. It is about a guy who is very particular about the safety rules from the most major up to the last details, always emphasizing the fact that there are reasons for every rule. Whenever he sees a co-worker performing his task without regard to the rules,  he would call his/her attention and insists with its observance like,  the complete and proper wearing of PPE (personal protective equipment). Every time he would do that, he  encountered resistance and received unflattering remarks in the process. Most of the time, it led him to a heated argument and verbal abuse of co-worker. This reality discouraged him so much that one day he decided to amend his ways and keep mum about it even though, on that particular day,  he saw one co-worker performing a task in an unsafe condition. At one point, he looked at his co-worker and tried to call his attention but he stopped and turned his back. He was just a few steps away when he heard the big noise and when he looked back, he saw his co-worker lying on the floor dead with the entire face burned by the steam water that just exploded in his face because of loose bolt. He knew his co-worker was at risk because on that day,  he saw him not wearing the protective equipment. Had he tried to remind him to wear the equipment, he could have saved his life that day but he decided to look the other way. This simple phrase became the subject of a beautiful poem which I want to share with you for your daily inspiration.

I could have saved the life that day
But I chose to look the other way
It wasn’t that I didn’t care
I had the time and I was there
But I didn’t to seem a fool
Or argue over a safety rule

I know he had done the job before,
If I speak up, he might get sore
The chances didn’t seem that bad,
I’d done the same, he knew I had.
So I shook my head and walked on by.

He knew the risks as well as I
He took the chance, I closed my eye
And with that act, I let him die
I could have saved a life that day
But I chose to look the other way

Now every time I see his wife
I know I should have saved his life.
That guilt is something I must bear
But it isn’t something you need share

If you see a risk that others take
That puts their health or life at stake
The question asked or thing you say
Could help them live another day
If you see a risk and walk away
Then hope you never have to say
I could have saved life that day
But I chose to look the other way

- Don Merrell -


Because of that incident, our guy decided to go back to his old ways but this time with a stronger resolve and conviction never to turn his back and do it the right way. Time had come when it is his co worker’s turn to remind him over the safety rules and he has no regrets.

Don Dizon

1 comment:

  1. i like this article. it can never be this timely. tnx a lot don dizon

    ReplyDelete

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...