Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tailgating by Dubai Road Bullies

I drove for quite sometime mostly in Dubai roads until mid Aug of 2010.  While I miss driving, one thing that I surely don’t miss is the ‘tailgating’ that I constantly experienced from bully drivers along Dubai roads. But even now as a mere passenger in a car, I still get to experience being irked by the tailgaters although, its emotional effects on me  would be of less magnitude as it used to be when I was driving.  There are a lot of bully drivers in Dubai roads and they come from different nationalities and their bullying comes in many forms, where tailgating is one of them.  I just cannot fathom why some drivers have to drive very close behind one’s vehicle and continuously flash the headlights even if there is a speed limit in the road and there are installed radars along the way. What does the bully driver gain when the driver in front of him/her decides to shift to the other lane as a result of the tailgating and continuous flashing? a distance of barely 7-10 meters before being stopped by the next traffic lights?   a flash by the radar to record the over speeding? I suppose it is more than these. It is the bully in the person. It is the bully personality that is coming out in the road. We can only surmise how this bully personality manifests itself in other settings like work, clubs, social circles, etc.  Another form of bullying that is as annoying is this habit of some drivers to beep the moment the traffic light turns green. Within  milliseconds after  the light has signaled ‘go’, some drivers would beep those in front of them as if driving ahead at that very moment is a matter of life and death. To my observation, most of the drivers who do this represent one nationality although there are those who come from other nationalities as well.  These bullies in Dubai roads surely bring road hazards and endanger the life of other motorists. No wonder that road accidents incidents  in Dubai have always been very high and drivers do not seem  mindful at all and  do not seem to learn from the folly and tragedy of other drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ATE MARISSA: A WOMAN OF GREAT FAITH

ATE in the Filipino language means, “older sister.” Growing up as a child, I would always look up to my older siblings.  Definitely, I look ...